Mumbai, Mar 26, 2016: Pakistani-American terrorist David Coleman Headley today told a special court trying the 26/11 attack case that he has "no personal knowle
New Delhi, Mar 26, 2016: Vowing to take forward the “ideological battle” on nationalism, Union minister Arun Jaitley said on Saturday that BJP has won the first
New Delhi,Mar 18, 2016: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has praised Islam for its message of peace and harmony and described Sufism as one of its greatest contributions.
He said this while addressing a global audience on the opening day of the World Sufi Forum in New Delhi on Thursday.
Terrorism dominated the discussion at the three-day event in which Sufi scholars from around the world are taking part.
“Of the 99 names of Allah , none stand for force and violence and the first two names denote compassionate and merciful. Allah is Rahman and Raheem…Those who spread terror in the name of religion are anti-religious,” Modi said.
“When the spiritual love of Sufism, not the violent force of terrorism, flows across the border, this region will be the paradise on earth that Amir Khusrau spoke about,” Modi added, referring to the 13th century Sufi poet.
Here are the top 10 quotes from PM Modi’s speech:
1.Of the 99 names of Allah, none stand for force and violence and the first two names denote compassionate and merciful. Allah is Rahman and Raheem…Those who spread terror in the name of religion are anti-religious.
2. When the spiritual love of Sufism, not the violent force of terrorism, flows across the border, this region will be the paradise on earth that Amir Khusrau spoke about.
3. Sufism became the face of Islam in India, even as it remained deeply rooted in the Holy Quran, and Hadis. Sufism blossomed in India’s openness and pluralism. It engaged with her spiritual tradition, and evolved its own Indian ethos. And, it helped shape a distinct Islamic heritage of India.
4. It is this spirit of Sufism, the love for their country and the pride in their nation that define the Muslims in India. They are steeped in the democratic tradition of India, confident of their place in the country and invested in the future of their nation; And, above all, they are shaped by the values of the Islamic heritage of India. It upholds the highest ideals of Islam and has always rejected the forces of terrorism and extremism.
5. As a nation, we stood against colonialism and in our struggle for freedom. At the dawn of independence some chose to go away. The tallest of our leaders, such as Maulana Azad, and important spiritual leaders, such as Maulana Hussain Madani, and millions and millions of ordinary citizens, rejected the idea of division on the basis of religion.
6. Terrorism divides and destroys us. Indeed, when terrorism and extremism have become the most destructive force of our times, the message of Sufism has global relevance.
7. Terrorism uses diverse motivations and causes, none of which can be justified. Terrorists distort a religion whose cause they profess to support. They kill and destroy more in their own land and among their own people than they do elsewhere.
8. The fight against terrorism is not a confrontation against any religion. It cannot be. It is a struggle between the values of humanism and the forces of inhumanity.
9. We must reject any link between terrorism and religion. Those who spread terror in the name of religion are anti-religious.
10. We need just not constitutional provisions or legal safeguards, but also social values to build an inclusive and peaceful society, in which everyone belongs, secure about his rights and confident of her future.
New Delhi, Mar 18, 2016: In a significant statement, the RSS said on Wednesday that gay sex was not a crime.
To a question on whether homosexuality is a crime as considered under Article 377 IPC, RSS joint general secretary Dattatreya Hosabale said, at an event organised by India Today group, "I don’t think homosexuality should be considered a criminal offence as long as it does not affect the lives of others in society."
He added, "sexual preferences are private and personal. Why should RSS express its views in a public forum? RSS has no view on that. It is for people to have their way. Personal preference of sex is not discussed in RSS and we don’t even want to discuss that."
Section 377 of Indian Penal Code terms homosexuality as unnatural and carries a maximum punishment of 10 years in jail. Going by the global trends in this regard, there have been demands within the country to decriminalise homosexuality.
On the other hand, Hosabale accepted that RSS sends "signals" to the BJP-led government at the Centre but dismissed suggestions it held a "remote control" over it.
"There is no control, but certainly remote is there. Remote is there, signal is there. RSS is not having any remote control on BJP or any other political party. RSS swayamsevaks are working actively and are participants in BJP. BJP also subscribes to certain views and ideology of RSS and the inspiration they take in public life. If family members come to RSS for suggestions, is it remote control or affection. There is no complaint from BJP and there is no wish from RSS," he said.
Asked if RSS was an ’extra-constitutional authority’ in the present government, he said, "Where is the extra- constitutional authority? We are not doing any hide and seek. Presentations at RSS meeting is not wrong. If they make presentations before RSS, they can make presentations before this conclave. It is a democracy. We have every right to make suggestions to any government."
Rejecting criticism that RSS gave diktats to the Modi government, he said RSS swayamsevaks are working actively in BJP and they are like "family members".
Hosabale said in a democracy the RSS can make suggestions to any government of the day, be it BJP or Congress, even though Congress will not listen to them.
"We are proud that RSS has produced two prime ministers. Both are listening to the voice of the people," he said, adding both Vajpayee and Modi listened to them. Vajpayee also listened and Modi also is listening. But, listening does not mean he is heeding (to) it. We are proud. I wish Vajpayee also had the opportunity to become prime minister at Modi’s age," the RSS leader said.
New Delhi, Mar 18, 2016: A university in Madhya Pradesh has landed itself in trouble over the importance of Pakistan’s Independence Day in India.
The official dairy of Dr Hari Singh Gaur lists Pakistan Independence Day under ’important days and dates’ for 2016.
While an official reaction from the university is awaited, the university may have to do a lot of answering on the ’error’.
New Delhi, Mar 17, 2016: A bomb scare at the Indira Gandhi International Airport on Thursday triggered panic forcing the authorities to ground several flights.
Mumbai, Mar 17, 2016: Liquor baron Vijay Mallya today sought time till April for making a personal appearance before the ED, virtually making it clear he would
New Delhi, Mar 17, 2016: As Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said today that banks will chase Vijay Mallya for "every penny" of the nearly 1 billion dollars owed b
New Delhi, Feb 26, 2016: Church leaders in India have downplayed the reprinting of a controversial book that claims Jesus was a Hindu from the southern Indian s
Bengaluru, Feb 25, 2016: Under attack from the Opposition over his luxurious watch, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddarmaiah today said he would declare it as a sta